Obituary for Ernest "Bo" Newton
Ernest, aka Bo, passed away April 1, 2017, on a Saturday after a prolonged illness. He was born September 15, 1930, in Lovelady, TX. His parents were Oliver Harmon Newton, II, and Mary Elizabeth (Beard) Newton, Shady Grove, TX. Survivors are wife, Maryllin Martin Newton; sister, Sarah Richardson Newton, College Station, TX; son, Alan L. Newton, and his two children, Golden Alana-Leigh Newton and Tanner Alan Newton; son, James Michael Newton and his wife, Melanie Beth Newton and children, J.T. Robinson, Brianna Susan Robinson, and Madeline May Newton, Courtney Ludwig and his wife, Jillian Ludwig, Alexandra Ludwig, and Andrea Ludwig. He was preceded in death by his parents, his brother, Oliver Harmon, III, and Bo’s eldest son, Douglas Jeffrey Newton.
Bo attended Grand Prairie High School where he graduated in 1948. He was a member of Student Council, played football, and served as the senior class president. After graduation, he attended the North Texas Agriculture College in Arlington, now University of Texas – Arlington, then transferred to East Texas State Teachers College, now Texas A&M – Commerce. He enlisted in the Air Force during the Korean Conflict, and completed his college education in the field of agronomy after his discharge.
While serving in the air force he met his future wife, Maryllin Martin of Morrison, IL. They were married May 30, 1953. His death occurred just two months before their 64th anniversary.
Bo was born and raised in Texas, and was very proud of his Native Texas heritage. Raised on a farm on Shady Grove Road, he raised shorthorn cows and turkeys in Dallas County 4-H Active Club Fair. He received many ribbons with 4-H and the Texas State Fair in Dallas. In 1948, he was 4-H President of the Year and traveled to Washington, D.C., with Murray Cox to speak on national radio. Growing up in the Shady Grove area, he made many memories that were important highlights and remained his entire life span. He could always fascinate new Texas residents with his knowledge of the town where they had settled, no matter the size of the town, and could always relate the geographic location and the county. He was well-versed on the history of the state and its important citizens over the many years. He was very proud of his state. If he was driving and noticed a Texas flag flying upside down, he’d park the car and inform the store or home that the flag needed attention.
Bo worked at Texas Instruments for 35+ years where he retired as the Director of Marketing. He also served on the Board of Directors of the Dallas County Flood District. When the head director passed away, the Board of Directors convinced Bo to take over the responsibility. He agreed to remain until the board’s mission was well underway, then he would resign. Progress continued with the mission through the team’s effort and hard work.
After his retirement from TI and resignation from the flood district, Bo jumped on a bicycle, and became involved with like interested new friends. He thoroughly enjoyed riding and the opportunities it provided to enjoy the countryside and the people. His greatest achievement was joining the Hotter ‘N Hell Hundred for 10 years. He took his last ride in 2010 at the age of 80. However, the friends he made over those 10 years became life-long friends. Throughout his entire life, Bo made many friends and always made continuous contact over the following years. He had a fun-loving nature, and could always relate an idiom or phrase to any conversation. Honesty and integrity were evident in all his endeavors.
A graveside service will be held at the Shady Grove historic cemetery in Grand Prairie, of which he was the President/Director, Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 3 pm. The family will have visitation between 6 pm and 8 pm, Friday, May 5, 2017 at Brown’s Memorial Funeral Home.
Memorial donations, in lieu of flowers, can be made to:
Shady Grove Cemetery
c/o Maxine Dalworth
1613 W. Shady Grove Road
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
Or charity of your choice.
Condolences to the Brown’s Memorial Funeral Home
707 N. MacArthur Blvd
Irving, TX 75061